Derek Johnson is an experienced litigation and trial attorney representing clients in high stakes and sophisticated product liability, toxic tort, wrongful death, personal injury and premises liability cases in state and federal court. He focuses his practice in toxic tort and product liability litigation with a specialization in asbestos litigation.
Derek represents numerous Fortune 100 companies, including industrial and equipment manufacturers, distributors and installation contractors in the power, oil, military defense, chemical and railroad industries.
He currently helps to run the regional counsel team defending California and Western United States asbestos matters for a Fortune 100 company with responsibility for thousands of cases filed in state and federal court. Derek’s role as part of the regional counsel team includes coordinating with expert medical and scientific witnesses and working closely with the client on nationwide discovery matters and investigations.
Derek has served as second chair for a number of recent trials resulting in successful outcomes for his clients, including defense verdicts. Derek has also served as trial counsel in numerous cases that resolved during the motion in limine and jury selection phase. He has deposed scores of plaintiffs, percipient witnesses, and expert witnesses, and he works on all aspects of the litigation, from the pleading stage through trial. His defense work includes serving as counsel in various state and federal coordinated proceedings, including multidistrict litigations (MDL).
- San Francisco Bar Association, Litigation and Environment Sections
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- “MDL-875: No Longer a Black Hole,” Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
Prior to entering law school, Derek worked as a high school teacher and for a technology start-up company.
- Meet the Attorney: Derek Johnson
- California Legislature Limits Defendants’ Examination in Mesothelioma Cases
- Big Moves by Plaintiffs’ Bar in the California Legislature to Limit Depositions in Asbestos Cases
- Walsworth Partner Derek S. Johnson to Co-Present at the Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook