Ethan Flinders is an accomplished litigator focused on the defense of general and premises liability, environmental, and real estate litigation. He handles all aspects of pre-trial litigation including initial evaluation and pleadings, discovery, depositions, and law and motion.
Ethan comes to Walsworth with experience in matters involving general and premises liability, product liability, and toxic tort litigation. Ethan also has experience defending catastrophic injury claims. At his prior employment, Ethan developed litigation strategy, investigated and interviewed clients and third-party witnesses, propounded and responded to discovery, argued various motions, and attended court hearings and mediations.
- Successfully resolved personal injury matter for a nominal amount after filing a motion for summary judgment that demonstrated there was no dangerous condition. Plaintiff tripped and fell on an alleged crack outside a major retail store. Plaintiff sued for bodily injury and lost wages – damages allegedly worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. The client big box store used its expert to demonstrate that the alleged crack was in fact a seam between two concrete slabs, and not a dangerous condition.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal in an asbestos matter where the plaintiff alleged he contracted mesothelioma after using a manufacturer’s automotive products. The manufacturer filed a motion for summary judgment arguing that the plaintiff could not have used its products as there was no supplier or distributor of the product located near the plaintiff’s residence or work.
- Auto v. Auto – Settled underinsured motorist matter for fraction of the policy limits demand during mediation following discovery and investigation that revealed the claimant had been in multiple prior motor vehicle accidents and had the same surgical recommendation before the subject accident. The claimant alleged that, while stopped at a red light, they were rear-ended by a driver who had the minimum insurance coverage and the resulting injury caused extensive and severe injuries to their neck and back. The alleged medical bills totaled hundreds of thousands of dollars and there was a surgical recommendation of lumbar spinal surgery.
- Auto v. Auto – Obtained a favorable settlement after an above policy limits demand in a personal injury matter where the plaintiffs were severely injured after they were rear-ended while driving a motorcycle. At mediation, it was shown that the claimant had the same spinal surgical recommendation well before the disputed motor vehicle accident. The claimant claimed the collision caused extensive neck and back injuries, including protruding cervical and lumbar disc, and alleged he would need spinal surgery as a result of the accident. After collecting the underinsured motorist’s insurance policy limit, the claimant made a claim for his automobile insurance policy limits.
- Obtained a settlement for a nominal amount in a personal injury action filed against a big box store where the plaintiff sustained extensive injuries after falling off of his bicycle. Following discovery, the big box store was able to prove that plaintiff made aftermarket alterations, including lowering the position of the front wheel, to the bike after it was purchased, which likely led to the plaintiff’s fall from the bike.
While in law school, Ethan was a judicial extern for the Honorable Barry Russell of the United States Bankruptcy Court. He also clerked for Public Counsel and the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office.
In his spare time, Ethan likes to hike, play tennis, take road trips, and spend time with family and friends.