Gabriela (Gabi) Jones is a senior associate in Walsworth’s Orange County office. Her practice focuses primarily on general liability matters. She is involved in all aspects of pre-trial litigation, including developing case strategy, discovery, attending depositions and pre-trial hearings, drafting motions, negotiating settlements, and trial preparation.
Gabi previously gained experience working on consumer warranty claims and personal injury matters in state and federal court. During law school, Gabi worked as a judicial extern for the Honorable Bruce Iwasaki and the Honorable Mark Bernstein in Los Angeles Superior Court.
Gabi is fluent in Spanish and worked as a Spanish language interpreter and translator at Southwestern Law School’s Children’s Rights Clinic and Immigration Law Clinic, where she assisted clients in filing for residency through the U-Visa and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status programs and represented low-income children in education-related issues including school discipline and special education.
- Obtained summary judgment in a wrongful death matter filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on the basis of the Privette Doctrine, which holds that owners/general contractors are not liable for injuries to the employees of subcontractors unless there is affirmative negligence by the owner/general contractor. Summary judgment was granted after a successful argument against plaintiffs’ assertion that the client had retained control of the retained subcontractor, its employee, and the location of the accident. Summary judgment was ultimately affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a national construction equipment rental company in a case wherein plaintiff alleged the client’s improper maintenance resulted in permanent injuries to plaintiff, including the amputation of a limb. Summary judgment was subsequently upheld on appeal.
- Successfully negotiated the dismissal of a vehicle rental company based on The Graves Amendment, which provides that a motor vehicle rental or leasing company cannot be held liable under state or local law for damages or injuries that occur during the rental or lease simply because the rental company is the owner of the vehicle.
- Successfully opposed discovery motions seeking privileged, confidential and proprietary documents on behalf of several auto manufacturers.
- Successfully opposed a plaintiff’s Attorney’s Fees Motion seeking over $300,000.00 in fees and costs, resulting in an order cutting the fees by more than 50%.
- Successfully argued the validity of a client’s Code of Civil Procedure Section 998 Offer to Compromise resulting in the substantial reduction of the amount of attorney’s fees and costs plaintiff was able to recover post trial.
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- Orange County Bar Association
Gabi grew up in Southern California and spent her weekends and summers at the beach. As a young child, her family travelled frequently. By the age of 15, Gabi had visited 5 continents and 9 countries. She developed a great appreciation for different cultures and their cuisines. In her spare time, Gabi continues to enjoy traveling, cake decorating, watching movies, visiting theme parks, and spending time with her two beautiful daughters and husband.