Kate Gardiner is an experienced litigation and trial attorney who focuses her practice in toxic tort and product liability litigation, with an emphasis in asbestos litigation. Kate has represented manufacturers, distributors, contractors and premises owners, including multiple Fortune 100 companies, in the power, military defense and construction industries. She specializes in cases filed in and removed to federal court, both to the Asbestos Multi-District Litigation (MDL) located in Pennsylvania and to all California District Courts. She has won summary judgment motions from various federal courts which have, for the first time, clarified both maritime and California law in favor of her clients.
She has deposed hundreds of plaintiffs, percipient witnesses, and expert witnesses, and she works on all aspects of litigation from the pleading stage through trial and settlement. She has answered “ready for trial” in a number of trial courts in San Francisco and Los Angeles Counties.
Kate’s oversight of a large docket of cases continues to bring in great results, from orders granting summary judgment, to settlements orders of magnitude below initial demands, to frequent dismissal of cases.
After participating in numerous trial academies, including the IADC Trial Academy (2011) and the Sedgwick Trial Academy (2010), she created and continues to lead the firm’s own biennial Trial College, which cultivates superior trial skills in associates through both hands-on practice and presentation by the firm’s experienced trial attorneys of proven best practices. Kate also co-chairs the firm’s Results and Skills Committee, which is similarly focused on bettering the skills of all of the firm’s attorneys.
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association (Litigation & Environmental Sections)
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy Alumni
Speaking Engagements and Publications:
- ACI National Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation Conference: “View from the Bench”, Panel Moderator
- “Recent Developments in Automotive Law,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal; Vol. 47.1.
- “Beginning of a Case & Discovery Considerations,” HB Litigation West Coast Crash Course Seminar, Panelist
Kate is a Bay Area native. She grew up in Oakland and now lives in Marin with her husband and twin daughters. Kate is a big opera buff and is a longtime San Francisco Opera season ticket holder.
- Walsworth Publishes 2019 Asbestos Year In Review
- Walsworth Publishes 2017 Year-End Asbestos Update
- Walsworth Partner Katherine Gardiner to Speak at Perrin Asbestos Conference
- California Supreme Court Clarifies Employers’ Duty to Family Members in Toxic Tort Cases
- California’s Supreme Court tackles the sophisticated intermediary defense
- Katherine Gardiner to Speak at ACI’s National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation on June 28
- Hon. Steven Kleifield to Serve as Newly Appointed Southern California Asbestos Coordination Trial Judge