Lisa Rice is chair of the Life Sciences practice. For more than 20 years, she has focused her practice on life sciences, product liability, toxic tort, general liability and business litigation. Lisa has successfully represented manufacturers, distributors, premises owners, large national retailers and municipalities in both individual lawsuits as well as multiple-party, complex, mass tort and class action litigation. Her cases involve products including medical devices, pharmaceutical products, herbal and dietary supplements, dental products, animal products, prosthetic and orthotic devices, exposure to chemicals, metals and more.
Lisa has acted as national and local counsel for several of her long-time clients. She also has been directly retained by her clients to advise on a variety of pre-litigation matters and develop strategies for avoiding litigation. She is frequently requested by insurance carriers and clients alike to present on topics involving her areas of practice.
Additionally, Lisa handles and supervises all aspects of trial and trial preparation, from managing discovery and taking and defending numerous expert and PMK (persons most knowledgeable) depositions, to resolving cases through trial, dispositive motions, mediation and arbitration.
Lisa understands her clients’ unique business needs and works proactively to provide her clients with an early assessment of potential exposure. Lisa and her team pride themselves on a solid case work up to position each matter for the most cost-effective and beneficial resolution consistent with the client’s goals. Her record of success on dispositive motions and ability to negotiate favorable resolutions is recognized by clients and opposing counsel alike.
On behalf of Walsworth, Lisa is proud to be a member of the Berkley Life Sciences Elite Defense Network of firms.
- Dismissal of pharmaceutical manufacturer based on preemption in federal court personal injury product liability action involving ingestion of generic brand drug.
- Judgment entered in favor of medical device manufacturer client following two rounds of successful dispositive motions. While motion for summary judgment was pending, plaintiff was granted leave to amend her complaint to add new causes of action. A demurrer was filed on behalf of manufacturer client and sustained by the court, without leave to amend.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of owner/developer client of a large commercial retail center. Multi-plaintiff claims were based on alleged toxic exposure and damages in excess of $1.6 million dollars.
- Almaguer v. Centurion – Dismissal of medical device manufacturer in personal injury product liability case. Plaintiff sought damages for permanent injuries to a minor allegedly resulting from defective circumcision clamp.
- Matheson v. StelKast – Dismissal of hip implant manufacturer in personal injury product liability action.
- Truong v. Teva Parenteral Medicines, Inc. – Dismissal of a pharmaceutical manufacturer from a personal injury product liability action.
- Hyoung v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals – Dismissal of generic pharmaceutical manufacturer from a personal injury product liability case where the plaintiff claimed she developed Stevens Johnson Syndrome from ingestion of drug.
- Dismissal of a hernia mesh manufacturer after meeting and conferring on a demurrer based on pre-emption and learned intermediary doctrine.
- Judgment entered in favor of manufacturer of Class III medical device on grounds that claims were preempted by federal law.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of medical device manufacturer in product liability action.
- Morgan v. Wang – Dismissal of a medical device manufacturer in a personal injury product liability and fraud action where plaintiff sought damages related to a spinal fusion procedure.
- Dismissal of professional automotive product manufacturer in multiple toxic exposure personal injury and wrongful death actions alleging exposure to benzene and other chemicals.
- Dismissal of manufacturer following hearing on a motion to quash for lack of personal jurisdiction in claim brought by a plaintiff relating to the distribution of stone products to his employer.
- Member, Law360‘s 2018 Editorial Advisory Boards: Life Sciences
- “Litigation and Claims Trends for the Life Sciences Industry: The 2017 Year in Review and Forecast for 2018”
- “Managing Risk for Investors and Funded Companies”
- “Class in Session: Defending Putative Class Actions”
- “Sales Reps in the Operating Room: A Plaintiff and Defense Perspective”
- “Navigating Ethical Issues for In-House Legal Counsel at Life Science Companies”
- “Claims and Litigation Trends in the Life Science Industry”
- “Hot Topics in Life Sciences Litigation”
- “Uppers, Downers and News from Our Courts and the FDA”
Lisa enjoys spending time with her family and golden retriever. She also enjoys yoga, hiking, traveling and reading. She volunteers at her children’s school and is a member of the finance council at Sts. Simon and Jude.
- Walsworth Publishes 2020 Life Sciences Year In Review
- Meet the Walsworth Family Members on the Front Lines During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Walsworth Publishes 2019 Life Sciences Year In Review
- Walsworth Obtains Judgment in Product Liability Action Involving Class III Medical Device
- Walsworth Obtains Judgment in Product Liability Action
- Walsworth Obtains Appellate Victory for Distributor in Los Angeles
- Walsworth Publishes 2018 Year-End Life Sciences Update
- Walsworth Partners Attend the NAMWOLF 2018 Business Meeting
- Walsworth Publishes 2017 Year-End Life Sciences Update
- Medical Device Sales Reps in the Operating Room: An Asset or a Liability?
- Walsworth Partner Lisa Rice to Present at Southern California Biomedical Conference
- Walsworth Partner Lisa Rice to Speak at 2017 NAMWOLF Annual Meeting
- U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Significantly Impacts Product Liability Litigation
- Walsworth Partner Lisa M. Rice to Present on “Sales Reps in the Operating Room: A Plaintiff and Defense Perspective”
- Walsworth Obtains Judgment in Product Liability Case
- Walsworth Wins MSA in Product Liability Case
- Walsworth Publishes 2016 Year-End Life Sciences Update
- Walsworth Publishes 2016 Mid-Year Life Sciences Update
- Walsworth Partner Lisa M. Rice to Present on “Navigating Ethical Issues for In-House Legal Counsel at Life Science Companies”
- A Second Bite at the Apple? Recovery for Wrongful Death After Settling an Underlying Personal Injury Claim