Sadaf A. Nejat represents a variety of clients in life sciences, toxic tort, product liability, travel and general litigation matters. Sadaf handles matters in various stages of litigation, including pre-trial through trial preparation.
After becoming a member of the State Bar of California and prior to joining Walsworth, Sadaf practiced immigration law in Santa Ana, California where she represented individual and corporate clients. Relying on the oral advocacy skills she cultivated as a law student, Sadaf appeared on behalf of a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Asylum Officer on behalf of a client whose case was ultimately approved.
Sadaf is fluent in Farsi.
- Obtained a judgment of dismissal for a large insurance company in a bad faith case after the client’s demurrer to the plaintiff’s complaint was sustained without leave to amend-a rare win early in litigation given the strict rules for demurrers. The action was barred by the doctrine of res judicata, as the insured had already filed a small claims action for the same loss, which resulted in a minimal judgment in her favor. The plaintiff’s case was contractually time-barred because she failed to file the complaint within one year of the date of loss as specifically required by the insurance policy.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in Los Angeles Superior Court in favor of a tour provider and bus driver in a matter involving a tourist’s fall in the Grand Canyon area. The alleged injuries were orthopedic and traumatic brain injury and associated medical bills exceeded $900,000.00. In granting the motion, the court agreed that the plaintiff’s complaint was barred under both the “open and obvious” and “assumption of risk” doctrines.
- Motion for summary judgment on preemption grounds granted on behalf of the manufacturer in a personal injury matter involving allegations of a defective product causing an accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury.
- Demurrer granted without leave to amend and affirmed on appeal on statute of limitations grounds on behalf of the manufacturer in a wrongful death matter.
- Motion for terminating sanction of dismissal with prejudice granted on behalf of the manufacturer in a personal injury matter following favorable rulings on numerous motions to compel for the plaintiff’s failure to satisfy his discovery obligations.
- Successfully secured dismissals with prejudice on behalf of the manufacturer and supplier in wrongful death matters involving allegations of occupational exposure to products containing toxic chemicals following the filing of motions for summary judgment on no causation grounds.
- Successfully secured a dismissal with prejudice on behalf of the manufacturer in a wrongful death matter following the filing of motions to compel certain written discovery.
- “Mold: Fear vs. Fact,” Client Presentation
- “Emerging Trends in Toxic Tort Litigation: From Hair Straighteners to E-Cigarettes,” Client Presentation
- “Thinking Outside the Medical and Employment Record Box,” Walsworth Newsletter
In law school Sadaf clerked for the Orange County Alternate Defender’s Office, the Gang Unit of the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, and the Honorable Judge Joe Perez. In these roles, she discovered a passion for oral advocacy. As a second year law student, Sadaf successfully qualified a gang expert during a preliminary hearing and argued an opposition to a motion to suppress evidence on behalf of the Orange County District Attorney’s Office. It was around this time that Sadaf joined the prestigious Mock Trial Honor Board. She competed in a number of regional and national mock trial competitions across the country. As a third year law student, Sadaf was recognized as “Best Advocate in a Round” at a national mock trial competition.
- California’s Rehiring and Retention Law: The Impact on Employers and Employees Alike
- Judgement Of Dismissal for Large Insurance Company
- Roadblocks and Traffic Jams for App-Based Driving Platforms: Proposition 22 Found Unconstitutional
- Walsworth Prevails on Summary Judgment for Tour Provider and Bus Driver in Personal Injury Claim
- Meet the Team: Sadaf Nejat
- The US Supreme Court Gives Dreamers Hope
- Walsworth Participates in the 2019 Run for Justice
- Walsworth Participates in Food From The Bar Campaign
- Walsworth Participates in the 2018 Run for Justice
- Protecting the Traveler, and Sometimes the Travel Industry
- Walsworth Demurrer Ends Premises Liability Case
- Planning for Zika
- Social Media: Changing the Face of Investigations
- Patron Assumes Risk of Extreme Fright at Haunted House