Shahirah Ruddell is a senior associate at Walsworth with extensive litigation experience in employment matters, including cases alleging racial discrimination and sexual harassment, and disability accommodation claims. She handles all aspects of pretrial litigation, including managing case strategy, pleadings, discovery, depositions, law and motion, mediations and arbitrations, participating in settlement negotiations, and working closely with lead trial counsel to prepare cases for trial.
Prior to joining Walsworth, Shahirah represented clients in employment defense, construction litigation, and contractual disputes. She has handled matters for a wide variety of clients, including residential and commercial landlords, business owners and entities, and contractors. She was also one of several trial counsel representing a major public works contractor in a breach of contract case.
Shahirah was recognized as a Rising Star by the Southern California Super Lawyers from 2020-2023.
- Employee v. Lithia Motors, Inc. – Secured a major defense arbitration award in a complicated employment matter on behalf of a Fortune 500 national auto dealership. The claimant alleged causes of action for wrongful termination, disability discrimination, failure to accommodate disability, family and medical leave (FMLA/CFRA) discrimination and retaliation, and whistleblower retaliation. However, the arbitrator ultimately found the claimant’s termination was lawful in all respects and rendered an award in favor of our client on all claims.
Outside the office, Shahirah enjoys cooking, traveling, trying new restaurants, and spending time with friends and family.
- As New Pay Data Reporting Deadline Approaches, Employers Must Ensure Compliance with New Requirements
- Walsworth Attorneys Secure Major Defense Arbitration Award in Complicated Employment Matter
- Walsworth Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2022 California Rising Stars List
- California Supreme Court Ruling Makes it Easier for Employees to Prove Retaliation Claims