One of the fastest growing areas of litigation is professional liability. The rapidly evolving business climate has prompted new and restrictive regulations that impact the professional’s day-to-day practice and creates the potential for greater liability exposure. As technology precipitously develops and brings new business opportunities, it equally creates new and uncharted legal perils. The need for experienced and effective legal counsel to both advise and defend the professional becomes even more paramount.
Walsworth provides counseling and representation to a wide range of professionals and is particularly situated to handle the complex legal matters inherent in this specialized field. We have extensive experience handling all aspects of professional liability claims in both state and federal courts ranging from legal consulting to trying cases to verdict. Walsworth’s legal counseling and litigation services for professionals include:
- Attorneys at Law
- Directors and Officers
- Employment Professional Liability
- Healthcare Professionals
- Insurance Brokers and Agents
- Miscellaneous Professional Liability Sectors
- Project Managers
- Real Estate Professionals
We have resolved numerous professional liability claims in early resolution proceedings and taken other cases to trial with excellent results. We have wide-ranging experience with court-designated complex litigation cases and professional administrative matters. Walsworth employs a team approach and draws on the extensive legal knowledge of its members to collaborate, address and protect the client’s interests.
- Oneto v. KHR Associates – Secured a defense verdict entered in favor of civil engineer as the design professional where the plaintiff alleged breach of contract and fraud arising out of the development of a multi-use super service station. The defense verdict was upheld on appeal.
- Amer v. Western – Obtained a jury verdict granting policy proceeds in favor of an injured party in a claim against a health insurance carrier that denied coverage under a pre-existing conditions exclusion.
- Los Angeles Engineering v. Financial Institution – Secured a defense judgment after a three-day trial for a financial institution in an action arising out of multiple bookkeeper forgeries.
- Maldonado v. Nova Partners, Inc. – Lead defense counsel defending Engineers/Project Managers on a designated multi-party complex litigation involving 185 plaintiffs alleging personal injuries from exposure to toxic substances during a multi-million dollar renovation of historic courthouse. The case was settled prior to trial within policy limits.
- Monterey County Water Resource Agency v. E2 Consulting Engineers, Inc. – Defended a civil engineer in a public works contract lawsuit alleging professional negligence in the design and construction of a municipal water retention system with claimed resulting damages of $3 million. A favorable settlement was achieved for client on the first day of trial.