Jonathan Blute is a partner at Walsworth who focuses his practice on professional and general liability matters. He is a skilled attorney with more than 17 years of trial and appellate experience representing a variety of clients in professional liability, employment, commercial litigation, ethics, and real estate matters. He has significant experience in all phases of litigation in state and federal courts, before administrative agencies, and in private arbitration proceedings.
Prior to joining Walsworth, Jonathan first or second chaired seven trials, three of which resulted in jury verdicts or court judgments, and handled eight federal and state appeals through disposition. In addition, he frequently advised clients on contract preparation, risk management strategies, and corporate governance issues.
Jonathan is recognized by the State Bar of California as a Certified Specialist in Legal Malpractice Law. He was also named to Super Lawyers’ Northern California “Rising Stars” list between 2013-2015 and 2017-2020.
- Obtained a 12-0 defense verdict on behalf of defendant/employer in wrongful termination/whistleblower action.
- Obtained a full defense judgment after bench trial on behalf of property/investment manager against investor suit for $2 million regarding employee’s multi-million dollar embezzlement scheme. Also prevailed on defendant’s cross-claims for contractual indemnity. Plaintiff/investor eventually settled by paying over $150K in fees and costs.
- Defended insurance broker against insured suit for allegedly failing to procure requested insurance coverage. Final pretrial settlement demand was for $450K. After motions in limine were filed and just before hearings thereon and jury selection, case settled for $30K.
- Prevailed in several appeals before state and federal courts, two of which resulted in published opinions: Flickinger v. Finwall (2022) 85 Cal.App.5th 822 and Riggs v. Prober & Raphael (9th Cir. 2012) 681 F.3d 1097.
- State Bar of California Certified Specialist, Legal Malpractice Law
- California Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Legal Malpractice Section Committee Member (2021)
Recent Presentations, Conferences & Speaking Engagements
- Navigating the Black Hole of California’s Mediation Confidentiality Statutes, co-authored with Timothy J. Halloran, San Francisco Attorney, Fall 2018
- A Powerful Tool: Section 998 Offers to Compromise, Bar Association of San Francisco Presentation, September 2017
- Potential Medi-Cal Pitfalls in Estate Practice and How to Avoid Them, Bar Association of San Francisco, co-presented with Peter L. Weber, December 2014
- Wading Through Actual Injury and the Discovery Rule in the Wake of Shifren v. Spiro, Riding the E&O Line, Defense Research Institute, 2012
- 9th Circ. OKs Debt Notices Implying Disputes Must Be Written, law360.com, June 2012 (quoted source in article)
- Take a Deep Breath: With Planning, Landlords Can Assure That Their Property Investments Don’t Disappear in a Cloud of Smoke, The Registry, 2010
When not working, Jonathan enjoys playing with his baby daughter, seeing live music, and traveling. He also confesses to being a mediocre guitar player and a far too serious Boston sports fan (an unfortunate byproduct of growing up in New England).