Johanna Rodriguez’s practice includes representing clients in employment, general and premises liability matters. She is involved in all aspects of pre-trial litigation, including developing case strategy, propounding and responding to discovery, attending depositions and pre-trial hearings, drafting motions, negotiating settlements and assisting with trial preparation.
Prior to joining Walsworth, Johanna worked as an associate attorney practicing trust and estate law. She counseled clients on their estate plans, trust administration matters and represented clients in probate and conservatorship maters.
Johanna is fluent in Spanish.
- Employee v. Lithia Motors – Secured a major defense arbitration award on behalf of client in a complicated employment matter. The claimant alleged wrongful termination in relation for his numerous grievances against a Los Angeles-area luxury car dealership. During testimony, several dealership employees provided credible explanations for the perceived wrongdoings against the complainant. The arbitrator, a retired Orange County Superior Court judge, agreed with the defense and found there was no evidence to support a retaliatory termination and rendered a binding award in favor of the Walsworth client.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in Los Angeles Superior Court in favor of a tour provider and bus driver in a matter involving a tourist’s fall in the Grand Canyon area. The alleged injuries were orthopedic and traumatic brain injury and associated medical bills exceeded $900,000.00. In granting the motion, the court agreed that the plaintiff’s complaint was barred under both the “open and obvious” and “assumption of risk” doctrines.
- Investigated retaliation complaints filed with the Labor Commissioner’s Office while in the Employment Rights Clinic at Loyola Law School by conducting interviews, analyzing evidence and preparing final recommendations.
- Prepared legal memoranda on labor and employment matters, including harassment and discrimination claims, at the Office of the California Attorney General’s Employment and Administrative Mandate Section as a legal extern.
- As a legal extern, assisted in trial preparations for labor and employment matters at the Office of the California Attorney General’s Employment and Administrative Mandate Section.
- Orange County Bar Association (Young Lawyers Division), 2018 Sports & Fitness Co-Chair
- “The Probate Process from Start to Finish for Paralegals” for the Institute for Paralegal Education, May 2016
Johanna graduated from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. She participated in the highly selective William G. Hobbs Trial Advocacy Program, where she conducted preliminary hearings on behalf of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. She also participated in the Hispanic National Bar Association’s Moot Court Competition and in the Employment Rights Clinic at Loyola Law School. Johanna gained valuable experience while externing at the Employment and Administrative Mandate (EAM) Section at the California Attorney General’s office.
Born and raised in Los Angeles, she graduated from UCLA, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Education.
In her spare time, Johanna enjoys spending time with her family, friends and lovable Yorkie named Penny. She enjoys working out and hiking.